Wednesday, December 10, 2003

While everyone went off to the huge meeting today, Hanson and I stayed in Apple's room and wrote up his letter to the Ministry of Education.

We talked about things, and I'll just spill some thoughts over here. Like I told him, I don't feel gifted. In fact, I realise I'm really not that smart, I just learn things fast, and remember them, I guess. Even that feels untrue, but I think I believe that if I don't remember things, I haven't actually learnt them, so the law still applies.

If that made sense, read on, because the rest of it uses the above template.

See, I know I can do things. I appear good at all I do. But I guess I'm Jack of all trades, master of none. I believe history is an important aspect of anything you're learning. If I can play the guitar wonderfully, but I don't know any famous guitarists, or anything about the development of this wonderful instrument, I would never call me a master. If I'm a fantastic worker at Banyan Tree, but I never knew how it came about, I cannot face up to my colleagues. History of your art adds to your image, and enhances your learning journey. People look up to you if you know that bit more. At least I would. I can't imagine studying something without knowing about its past. At least something about its past.

I don't. Not that much anyway. And the problem with me is that I never bother, even if I actually want to. I probably don't want to enough. I don't look up things, I don't read the papers, I don't take the initiative to find out about what I think I'm serious about. I don't know why I'm going on about this either; you're probably telling me, then do! Do go find out about what you'd like to know, if it's so important to you. My excuse is there is no time. The reason is I want to be spoon-fed with all this information.

I have no right to be talking about this. I'm not proud of it. Closing this now.

No comments: