Wednesday, December 10, 2003

I haven't blogged since last Wednesday. In fact, I was hardly online since last Wednesday. Most unusual behavior.

--

Wednesday:

Didn't offer them biscuits. Can't remember why. Perhaps I didn't bring them to work, that would be a valid reason.

Continued faxing. Finished Hong Kong/China/Taiwan. Was going to look for Jeannie because she had more things for me to do, then met the boss, Mrs Ho. She was very nice, and told me that Jeannie was just coming back from lunch. She (Jeannie) came back in a while, and the crisis happened. *giggles* It was quite fun, really. Mrs Ho wanted an assortment of gifts to give to people, so we had to pack 15 sets of 3-4 items each, all in 45 minutes. About everyone in the gallery office came out to help. Wrap things in rice paper, then wrap with gold paper, then tie with ribbon, and add a card. Everyone worked together on the floor of the shop, it was pretty funny, come to think of it. We had fun, hee. ^_^ At least, I did. Then, when Mrs Ho came back, she thought one of the sets was not the appropriate size, and so she didn't want them. I wouldn't say we wasted our time; I learnt some cool stuff about packing. ^_^ Good experience.

After that, Jeannie had some Australia/Italy/UK supplier thingies she wanted me to go through, and then do a database which included the company's profile, and what they do and so on. I was surfing the companies' sites, then Lynn asked me to cut up MOH dinner and dance stickers, so I did. I managed to finish the stickers she printed out, and then go through all I needed to go through for the supplier thingies, but I didn't have time to key in the database before I had to go for the Hive film competition closing ceremony. I told Jeannie that, and she said I could continue tomorrow.

Didn't win anything at the competition, but watched some really good films. The big winner was one called "Lorong 27". It circled around the principle of not judging a book by its cover. Sounds cheem, but it was really quite entertaining. They won two digital video cameras, and ten thousand dollars. Whoosh. ^_^ Good stuff. During the photo taking, I think I was like the only girl. Eep. =|

Thursday:

Completed database that wasn't completed on Wednesday. Have a lovely Australia/Italy/UK folder.

Replied to replies of my faxes, therefore also have a lovely, thick, Hong Kong/China/Taiwan folder. It was quite exciting, seeing important faxes and emails addressed to me. It was also funny, to see faxes being sent to "Upper Bukit Timab Road", and addressed to "Mr Eunice Wong". *stifles giggles* Anyway, I thanked people for quotations and asked for samples. In the middle of things, Charlene and Karyn needed my help on keying in a database of the corporate communications people from various ministries and statutory boards. So I hopped from table to table (and am still doing that) trying to get a computer that wouldn't die on me (Jenny's laptop ran out of battery after I came back from lunch). I worked on that while Hanson cursed about add-ons to the huge powerpoint presentation (Banyan Tree is getting listed!), then when I finished, Lynn had loads of paper for me to cut. They were writeups, for museum products, to tell people more about what they were buying. So I cut, and cut, and cut, at Hanson's table, and listened to him mutter about the presentation. *smile* He really does take his work seriously. But he puts so much pressure on himself... I wanted to tell him to relax a little, but I didn't know how. Yeah, didn't know how.

Friday:

I recieved samples! I recieved samples of t-shirt shaped memo clips and magnets... and swatches of ribbons! Some really pretty ones. Apple said we'd show them to Mrs Ho and let her decide if she wants them, and which ones, and then proceed to contact the supplier. We haven't done that yet. Anyhow, lots of stress over the powerpoint, because there were last minute changes and information not given to Hanson, the poor dude.

I started on packaging for some jade pieces of the Chinese horoscope. I had to cut out cardboard pieces (as a backing for the jade), then cut out velvet pieces (as a covering over the cardboard), then spray glue to stick the velvet onto the cardboard, then sew the jade pieces onto the cardboard. Apple kept saying I do things really fast, and when she was showing me how to sew the piece, she told me "do slower arh, don't do so fast!" Hehe. I managed to sew 3 sets of 12 pieces in less than an hour. I'm quite proud.

Monday:

I recieved more packages. More ribbons, some catalogues, and samples too. Didn't look at them too closely though. Stress on the powerpoint was high and rising. More last minute changes, more last minute add ons... Hanson was trying to run through so there wouldn't be lag, but there wasn't much time. Charlene had documents for the press kits she needed to photocopy, so she taught me how to use the amazing photocopier, that has a sort function, and staples things too! ^_^ After lunch, it was a mad rush to sort out the press kits - where are the Angsana brochures! You don't have enough of this! How many sets can we make? Yes, yes, I'm printing more! In the end, we had 15 lovely kits in 15 lovely Banyan Tree envelopes.

Mrs Ho asked me along to the meeting. I was quite nervous, more so for the presentation to go well than for not doing/saying the right thing, actually. I really wished for the meeting to run smoothly, because I'd seen the work that went into it, and I did (and still do) want Banyan Tree to go down well with people. But there was too much lag because of too many add ons at the last minute, and the animation couldn't work very well, so Hanson couldn't do the presentation on the big screen. My heart went "ouch". After the presentation, people asked questions (as they always do). I think Mrs Ho (and Michael and Mr Ho) answered them beautifully. Reminds me of our "marketing proposal" last year, for the zoo; next time I'll go work for Janice Heng, then I'll present stuff, and she can answer all the questions the way she always does - wonderfully.

After the meeting, I was a little overwhelmed, still not over the fact that I'd seen a presentation in a real life situation. It was interesting. Anyway, I went back to the office, and continued doing the jade packaging. Lynn had the templates for the outside gold packaging of the jade, and I had to print and cut them out. It was an extremely fun day; this was the most enjoyable day at work so far. Apple, Lynn, Hanson and Kerry are fantastic, fun people, who tell their share of jokes, dirty and clean. I was laughing for ages. Even though the templates took forever to cut, it made things better by just being in that room, where they were all talking rubbish and making people laugh. Love 'em. ^_^

Today (Tuesday):

Today I reached the office at about 8.45am. No one was there yet, so I wandered into Apple's room and continued working on the jade stuff. Apple came in a while later and got scared by me because she didn't expect anyone in that early, keke.

Ah, just briefly what I did for the day:

- almost finish 3 sets of zodiac jade pieces packaging (as much as there is to do at the moment)
- typed and formatted characteristics of each Chinese zodiac animal (to paste on packaging)
- typed and printed and faxed 7 letters to more suppliers
- looked at the load of mail I got the other day
- did more corporate communications database keying for Charlene
- secretly faxed a letter to Power98 to ask them to send the people at the office a Swensen's X'mas Lunch ^_^; these people deserve it
- went home and finished watching Dai Lui Fa, Perish In The Name Of Love on VCD (probably the reason for not coming online - I've been watching it every night); I love Cantonese serials! This was done pretty well. I'm quite fond of the direction, and the script, though the ending wasn't quite to my taste. Still loved it though.

--

SO.

Phew. Almost a week's worth of things to say. Oh, one more: went to VS band concert to hear my brother play. I'll admit I felt tingly when I recognised the tune my brother has been annoying us with. Music is a wonderful thing, and a beautiful language. I have yet to learn to read and understand it. Oh, there was a pretty cute flutist who looked a bit like Sean Biggerstaff. Whee. Video cameras are good for zooming in on cute guys.

Goodnight!

No comments: