Saturday, November 13, 2004

The rain stopped, and the shows went on. I just had a great time, managing to catch not only the four shows that I planned to watch today, but five, because my mum wanted to "see the guy climb the sword ladder".

Review below, and whited out if you wanna see the shows for yourself. But hey, go on, read it - I know you can't resist. ;) Anyway, if you know all the jokes, you'll be able to laugh at them on cue.

We got to Clarke Quay in time for the Daredevil Chicken Club, who were drawing their crowd. They were pretty cool, quite funny, but the crowd wasn't big, so the atmosphere wasn't quite there yet. Plus, the ground was slippery from the rain, so they didn't do their finale trick, which was supposed to be walking on a tight-rope and juggling on one foot or something like that. I got their autographs (they're a husband and wife team) and wondered if it was rude or anything not to ask for Jeff Hill's autograph yet, who was just setting up. But hey, I was going to get his autograph later anyway, so.

We went for a quick dinner nearby, and just about finished when Jeff Hill started his show. I waited until my mum excused me, and rushed there to see him just start the show. Apparently he'd been giving out his postcards before that; he said he'd sign them after the show. He ate some fire, which was cool because he did it a few times continually, eating and spitting the fire back out. He said this was the third time he was back here for the festival, so that was a cool bit of trivia. I got his autograph, after waiting for all the little kids to get their postcards signed and all.

After that, we drove over to the Robertson Walk pitch, and I was worried I'd miss Alan Star because we were about 15 minutes late, according to the scheduled time (7.30pm). Turns out when we arrived that the show hadn't started yet, and Eric Girard's sword ladder was on the stage. We saw an ice cream stand, and my mum and dad got some, and then later realised it was FREE! So for all you people out there who want FREE ice cream, head on down to the Robertson Walk pitch.

Alan Star's show started at 8.00pm, and he did a lot of very pretty fire tricks, swinging sticks and ropes of fire around and stuff like that. His last trick was twirling sparklers on sticks and it was very smoky but very pretty because all the sparks flew around in red and gold. =D He didn't talk except about the charity bit, but he had cool techno music, which, we found out after the show, he put together himself. He was selling the music on CDs, as well as the show on DVD. I wanted it, of course, but hahaha. Oh, and he had cool pants too. My mum liked them a lot.

After his show I went up to him for an autograph, and Owen Lean, who was nearby was laughing a bit like, "oh, autograph!" He was up next, and I was jumping around to Alan Star's music, which was still playing for a while, so I think he noticed me. Like, oh haha, look, mad girl.

Anyway, he started his show, and I enjoyed it the most, because he had some fresh jokes and was kinda dreamy. ^____^;;; He did card tricks, and got this little boy Yonus (I hope I spelled it correctly) to help him with the tricks. When he asked Yonus to draw a card he told him, "okay, now stick your hand out like an American bellboy asking for a tip. Say 'give me some money, you big Irish git!'" Yonus said "give me some money!" very cutely and Owen went, "oh, do you accept cards?" and motioned for him to draw a card. XD No one laughed, and he said, "it's like a joke, you know." Hee.

During Owen's show this guy like just walked through the stage and Owen went, "don't worry sir, it's just a stage you're going through." XD I didn't get that until a few seconds later, when it was too late to laugh.

Also, I forgot to mention - there's one part of the Festival that asks people to bring their dogs down to watch the shows. So there was quite a few dogs at Robertson Walk, and during Owen's show one of them barked and he said, "don't worry about that, his mum was a bitch." Hehe, then he looked at the kids and said, "oh, kids, it's a welding term." XD

More fun (for me, hee hee):

- He was explaining a trick to Yonus and he said, "I can do this trick, because my hands move very fast." Then he nodded at me and winked and said, "you'll know what I'm talking about, baby." ;D

- At one point he came up to me and said "sweetheart, what's your name?" So I said, "Eunice." I had to repeat it because it sounds like Yonus, lol. Then he asked, "where're you from?" I replied, "Singapore!" And then he said, "what's your number?" =)

- When he did his final trick he took off his tie and unbuttoned his first button and looked at me and winked. La.

He ended his show with, "my name's Owen Lean, if you didn't like the show, it's David Blaine." =)

I went up to him after the show and said, "hey, I'm coming for your autograph now." And he went, "my autograph! All right." And I said, "Or your phone number." =P Well I didn't get his phone number, but he did put my name on the autograph and gave me his website (
www.roadmage.com). Check it out. He's 21. And dreamy and funny and cooool.

Next was Eric Girard, the guy with the sword ladder. He was quite funny too, he juggled fire and did the thing where you roll the three flaming torches on the ground, only he said, "in England, we juggle like this." Heh, then he looked to the audience and called out to a lady who was from London (he asked before the show). And he said, "oh, you said London, right? Okay, I'll do it slower." XD

He also got another lady to lie down on a blanket to try to juggle swords over her (he didn't lah). She lay down, and he lay down next to her and said, "do you have a boyfriend?" When she pointed out her husband to him, he said to the husband, "oh don't worry. I'm gay." And then he said, "haha no I'm not. But my husband is." XD

Got his autograph too, and headed home very happy.

Tomorrow's gonna be cool too! Central CDC@Orchard, people who wanna go. It's at Taka/Ngee Ann - I think it's the area where you go through Wisma, through the tunnelly sort of place, and turn left where there is an escalator up. See you there!