Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Go, Mordecai!

Tonight, after a long day of sitting in a chair, I wandered out onto a roof and climbed a metal ladder. The sky was dark, a dusty rose colour; I saw no stars as I sat dangling my legs over the small platform. It was quiet enough, but a few metres up wasn't very much away from the world I wanted to escape from. I missed my puppy. I was sad and angry and calm all at once.

I thought about how there was empty space below me. I thought about how different heights give things depth when you look from the top. Then I thought about how the sky opened up above me. I thought about the faint flashes of light that appeared overhead and wondered for a while if I was safe.

When my feet hit the ground again I looked around, and suddenly being on the same level as everyone else seemed very unremarkable.

No comments: