Monday, January 26, 2004

Sometimes the best way to appreciate sheer beauty is to see how other great things pale in comparison to it.

I loved it that the participants in Wang Jian's cello masterclass got progressively better. Honestly, if I'd only heard the first, I would have gone home mesmerized by the beauty of the music; but you really never know the real thing until the master plays it. All those who performed tonight were brilliant. Wang Jian was just the best out of them all. Who knows, maybe someone plays better than he does (Yo-Yo Ma?)... It's a comparison thing, it is.

It was the first time I'd watched anything at all in the Esplanade, and the Concert Hall was... grand. The acoustics were fabulous, and the silence, when there was silence, was deafening. I picked up a copy of the Esplanade Diary (Jan - Mar)... They don't seem to have any guitar concerts/events/things. Oh well.

I like the cello very much, now that I've heard what it can do. But I still stick by the classical guitar as my favourite instrument. I absolutely love the sound of it. Every time I hear a guitar piece on Symphony, I stop what I'm doing and listen. The guitar is the way to my heart... *gets all floaty* Of course, it doesn't hurt if you have a cute boyish American sort of voice like Wang Jian's either...

*
Note to self: Sharon Isbin's Dream of a World
*

No comments: